Have you ever thought to yourself, “I just do not have the time?” I know I have! In fact, I say it quite often, “there’s just not enough time in the week to get everything done!!” Most of the time, when I say these things to myself, I usually start cutting out stuff that I’m really not dedicated to doing right?! “AKA” my workouts, my self-care, or my free time (the things that refill our cups) – right?
It is so easy to put ourselves on the backburner and say, “Yeah, I’ll get to it!” And then, poof, 1, 2… 10 years have gone by, and you don’t know how you got so far away from where you once were! This is a sad reality that a lot of people have gone through and are going through.
Here is a little exercise that I take some of our clients through:
- Write out on paper the number 168; this is how many hours we all have in a single week.
- Then, I have them write out how many hours they work each week; the typical American works 38.7 hours a week.
- Next, I have them write out how many hours they sleep; the average American sleeps 49.4 hours a week.
- Then, how many hours a week they spend on eating, bathroom breaks, grocery shopping, food prep, driving, and other essential activities.
It usually looks something like this:
- Total Week Hours: 168
- Work: 40
- Sleep: 50
- Eating: 7.5
- Bathroom Breaks: 7
- Grocery Shopping: 4
- Food Prep: 7
- Driving: 7
- Additional Commitments (e.g., kids’ school): 5-8
So, to recap:
168 total hours in the week! – 40 – 50 – 7.5 – 7 – 4 – 7 – 7 – 8 = 37.5 hours left in the week! That’s a huge amount of time that we have left!
Once our clients write this out and start to connect the dots, they want to know where this time is going. So, they start to audit their days a little more. Having control over your time is one of the only freedoms we have in the world!
We all have the same amount of time, so the next time you tell yourself, “I just don’t have the time to take care of my health and fitness,” pull out this email and do a time audit. Let’s really dig deeper into where your time is being prioritized.
This is where Strength Warehouse coaches really shine. We help hundreds of clients each month find time to prioritize their fitness, nutrition, and mental health!